© 2019 by Jay Carey Law

DISCLAIMER: All materials provided on this website are for informational purposes only. These materials do not constitute legal advice. Sending e-mail also does not establish an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship is created by the information provided her or by any consultation with our law firm's attorneys or staff.


  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

Immigration FAQ's


What is Family-Based Immigration?
Clients who would like to sponsor relatives to become a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. U.S. citizens may apply for their spouses, parents and children, including married sons and daughters. Lawful permanent residents may apply for their spouses and unmarried children. For spouses, parents, and children under 21 or U.S. citizens (Immediate Relatives), there are an unlimited number of visas available. However, for applicants in the other categories, the Department of State issues a limited number of visas each year and applicants may be waiting for several years before becoming a lawful permanent resident.

Is there Employment-Based Immigration?
There are several categories of persons who qualify for employment-based applications. Some of the categories require a labor certificate application to be filed with the Department of Labor before filing the application. Employment Creation Investors must invest between U.S. $500,000 and $1,000,000, depending on the employment rate in the geographical area, in a commercial enterprise in the United States which creates at least 10 new full-time jobs for U.S. citizens, permanent resident alien, or other lawful immigrants, not including the investor and his or her family.

What are Non-Immigrant Visas?
There are many types of non-immigrant visa available. Visas may be available to come to the U.S. to work, attend a university, or just to visit.

What other immigration services do you provide?

Naturalization/Citizenship: After being a lawful permanent resident for five years (or three years if married to a U.S. citizen), a permanent resident may apply to become a naturalized citizen of the U.S. Applicants must meet physical presence requirements in the U.S. and show good moral character. They must also be able to speak, read and write English and demonstrate their knowledge of the history and government of the U.S.

Fiancé/Fiancée petitions: ​The K-1 Visa is available to fiancées of U.S. citizens who are coming to the United States to get married within 90 days of arrival. The K-2 Visa is available to the children under 21 of the fiancée.

Adoption: ​Parents may apply for adopted children to become lawful permanent residents of the U.S. The process differs depending on whether the child adopted is classified as an orphan or not.

VAWA: ​Under the Violence Against Women Act, abused spouses and children of U.S. citizens an lawful permanent residents may be able to petition for themselves to become legal in the U.S. and not have to rely on the abusive spouse or parent to apply for them.